If they did, invite them to add to the list on the board. The Book of Mormon and other latter-day scriptures clearly and definitely teach the existence of the devil as a … Read what goes before that which I shall read to you, and you will see that the prophet is referring to the time in which we live. What are some examples of Satan trying to “stir [people] up to anger against that which is good”? 2 Nephi 28:24-27 -- On Needing God to Avoid Wo "Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion! (See Alma 39:4.) In 2 Nephi 10, Jacob’s commentary on Isaiah continues, and his discussion of what he has just quoted from Isaiah also serves as an introductory commentary on the next group of Isaiah writings, 2 Nephi 12–24 (Isaiah 2–14). Satan takes us an inch at a time, deceiving us as to the consequences of so-called minor sins until he captures us in major transgressions. Because of pride, and because of false teachers, and false doctrine, their churches have become corrupted, and their churches are lifted up; because of pride they are puffed up. According to this verse, what happens to those who say, “We have enough”? About 559–545 B.C. 2 Nephi 27:8, 15 John W. Welch, “Doubled, Sealed, and Witnesses Documents” (Maxwell Institute) 2 Nephi 27:14 Robert F. Smith, "Textual Criticism of the Book of Mormon," (Maxwell Institute) 2 Nephi 28. 2 Nephi Chapter 28. Sunday, January 28, 2018. Nephi exposed some of the “false and vain and foolish doctrines” (2 Nephi 28:9) that Satan professes and will continue to use. Fatalism: “Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die” (2 Nephi 28:7-10). Reveals God to Man. 1. To conclude the lesson, inform students that the end of 2 Nephi 28 contains a final warning and an assurance from the Lord. First, it tells in a plain manner of Christ and His gospel. How does the Book of Mormon fortify us against the adversary? So they were many, and they are many …, Satan foresaw what would come to pass, and the prophet Nephi realized fully the claims that would be set up in the last days, these days. . Does anyone here think that it is better to learn firsthand that a certain blow will break a bone or a certain mixture of chemicals will explode and sear off our skin? Nephi is referring to the humble followers of Christ among the many churches of the last days. ☼ 2 Nephi 28:11–14: Yea, they have all gone out of the way; they have become corrupted. )” (“Answer Me,” Ensign, Nov. 1988, 33). This may sound subtly appealing, but it is in fact pernicious and a false concept. I don’t profess to offer any kind of privileged or unique insights myself. (Conference Report, Apr. Consider asking a few students to share what they have written. Each item Jacob mentions is an attribute of God: God is full of wisdom, goodness justice, … So, Jacob’s speech appears to have been given at least ten years after Nephi’s coronation. Bring a football as an object lesson. Bishop Richard C. Edgley, a counselor in the Presiding Bishopric, spoke of the dangers of being pacified and flattered: “Every act, good or bad, has a consequence. But how difficult for so many to resist the temptation to lie a little, cheat a little, steal a little, bear false witness in speaking in gossipy words about others. It testifies of His divinity and of the necessity for a … And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and … Beware the Me Monster. 2 Nephi 30:1. A sampling of the details of this article will be included in the verse commentary of these three chapters. This condition was prophesied by Nephi wherein he stated that in the last days the devil would say to the people, “I am no devil, for there is none.” (2 Nephi 28:22.) 1 And now, behold, my brethren, I have spoken unto you, according as the Spirit hath constrained [compelled] me; wherefore, I know that they must surely come to pass. ‘See for yourself.’. …. Isaiah 5 – Transition to the Kingdom of God – 2 Nephi 15:1-30. What one has done in the past isn’t discussed. Point out that 2 Nephi 28:7–9 is a scripture mastery passage. 2 Nephi 1:14, 21, 23. E. The Lord said the Bible “shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people” (2 Nephi 29:4–6). He is the God of the universe, not some night-court judge with whom we can haggle and plea bargain! [H]e was obedient unto the word of the Lord, wherefore he did as the Lord commanded him. “Now it was evident that there was a better resurrection, or else God would not have revealed it unto Paul. According to 2 Nephi 28:30, He teaches us “line upon line, precept upon precept.” What does that mean to you? (By obeying the warnings he had been given.). Willful ignorance : “We need no more of the word of God, for we have enough” (2 Nephi … Latter-day prophets have also identified these falsehoods and have … Divide the class into small groups. President James E. Faust of the First Presidency spoke against this falsehood: “[One deception] is what some erroneously call ‘premeditated repentance.’ There is no such doctrine in this Church. Isaiah 7 – Mercenaries Shall Gather – 2 Nephi 17:1-25. This verse of scripture is forward looking. Note: You could use this idea during the lesson as you introduce the scripture mastery passage, or you could use it at the end of the lesson. In The Book of Mormon: … ‘There are crocodiles all over the park,’ he said, ‘not just in the rivers. And even when we sin, the Lord will be merciful to us if we sincerely repent. Isaiah 8 – Judah Spared from Assyria – 2 Nephi 18:1-22. Students of comparative Christianity are well aware that many Christian churches today do not teach the actual existence of a devil. I believe we all can see that it is better to heed the warnings of wise persons who know the effects on our bodies” (“Sin and Suffering,” [Brigham Young University fireside address, Aug. 5, 1990], 6, speeches.byu.edu). “God … will justify in committing a little sin” (2 Nephi 28:8). Are we better off after we have sustained and then healed such injuries? From chapters 6-10 they quote much of Isaiah, Nephi even explains how the words of Isaiah will slowly come to understanding as time goes on… for they are difficult to understand without the spirit. Reveals God to Man. It testifies of His divinity and of the necessity for a Redeemer and the need of our putting trust in Him. The Book of Mormon and other latter-day scriptures clearly and definitely teach the existence of the devil as a personage of spirit. Scroll down the page until you come to Isaiah 52:2 and you’ll see commentary on the Isaiah verses quotes in 2 Nephi 8:25. Book of Mormon Commentary 3 Nephi 28 2 were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.’ (see Hebrews 11:35.) Gregory L. Smith, “Gossamer Thin: 2 Nephi’s ‘Flaxen Cord’ and the Anti-Masonic Thesis,” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 30 (2018): 331–370. Matthews, Robert J.. " The Atonement of Jesus Christ: 2 Nephi 9." For example, you might draw a traffic sign or a symbol communicating that a certain substance is hazardous or poisonous. 123-24. 2:2-4 - Lehi, into the wild [T]he Lord commanded my father, even in a dream, that he should take his family and depart into the wilderness. “… All of our covenants must not only be received through ordinances but to be eternal must also be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise. Then all at once I saw it!—a large crocodile, settled in the mud, waiting for some unsuspecting animal to get thirsty enough to come for a drink. The story of the young man who ignores the warnings of others and is killed by a crocodile, as retold by President Boyd K. Packer in a conference address (see “Spiritual Crocodiles,” Ensign, May 1976, 30–31), is available as a media presentation on Book of Mormon Video DVD Presentations 1–19 or Book of Mormon Visual Resource DVDs. Why do you think flattery can lead some people away from the Lord? Scriptural Commentary (or Inspired Babbling) Tuesday, March 18, 2014. Betts, George Herbert. Latter-day prophets have also identified these falsehoods and have spoken against them. "As one reads 2 Nephi 9 one notices the interesting way that Jacob approaches each of his subjects: always in terms of God's goodness and greatness. But He knows the intents of our hearts. Pride and false doctrine will result in the corruption of religion. How might a person “take the advantage of one because of his words”? Alma 22:15. Readers often ask why Nephi included particular passages from Isaiah in his writings and what message Nephi would have us learn from that passage. Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles cautioned against this attitude: “The philosophy of ritual prodigalism is ‘eat, drink, and be merry, … [and] God will beat us with a few stripes.’ This is a cynical and shallow view of God, of self, and of life. Read 2 Nephi 28:19 aloud while students follow along. In 2 Nephi 16, Nephi transcribes Isaiah 6, which includes Isaiah’s vision of the Lord. Learn about the Book of Mormon with verse by verse commentaries from renowned Book of Mormon scholars like John W. Welch and Brant A. Gardner in the ScripturePlus app. A Harsh Rebuke – 2 Nephi 28:1-32. 2 Nephi 30:1, 18. Invite a student to read aloud the following counsel from President Packer: “Those ahead of you in life have probed about the water holes a bit and raise a voice of warning about crocodiles. In what ways do pride and false teachings influence people? I don't think that we usually do it on purpose, but we have a lot of ideas and creative interpretations about God's work, and we spread them around until people are taking rumor and guesswork as fact. 2 Nephi 26:11. Nephi uses … Explain that people sometimes rationalize sin by telling themselves that everyone is doing it or that they can repent later. 29 But if ye will not hearken unto him I take … 2 Nephi 28:1. This divine stamp of approval is placed upon our ordinances and covenants only through faithfulness. In 2 Nephi 28:32, the Lord speaks to people who have denied Him. A delightful discussion of the details of the early saints' perceptions of these chapters has been written by Grant Underwood ("Insights From the Early Years: 2 Nephi 28-30," (The Book of Mormon: Second Nephi, the Doctrinal Structure, 323-339). 2 Nephi 28:20 Stir them up to anger “It should come as no surprise that one of the adversary’s tactics in the latter days is stirring up hatred among the children of men. Once again Jacob identifies the major themes that always accompany his citing of Isaiah. Those are the ones to be warned against, and there is hardly a watering place in all of mortality now that is not infested with them” (“Spiritual Crocodiles,” 31). (Ask students to read Doctrine and Covenants 1:31 for an additional insight.). Read this week's KnoWhy connected with the Come Follow Me curriculum, and watch a video elucidating an insight in this week's scripture reading. “And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.” (2 Nephi 28:21-22.) Concerning some of these teachings of the Church, James E. Talmage has written: After students have had enough time to study the passage, invite several students to come to the board. The Spirit as the Mediator . However, ensure they understand that they should not feel obligated to share thoughts or experiences that are too personal or private. Reveals Man to God. Nephi spoke of some teachings against which we must be on guard lest we follow that road, when he said that in a day to come, which we realize now is our day, there would be those who would 'teach us to become angry against that which is good, to lull us away into carnal security and to flatter us by telling us there is no devil, there is no hell.' Brant A. Gardner, Second Witness: Contextual and Analytical Commentary on the Book of Mormon, 6 vols. Nephi, speaking of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon in the Last Days, explains that many will exclaim that; “…We have received, and we need no more!” (2 Nephi 28:27) However, Nephi reminds us that even the Bible explains that we (the Children of God) will receive His Gospel; “…line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my … 2 Nephi 28–29 *Nephi Will Confine His Words to His Own People. For behold, Isaiah spake many things which were hard for many of my people to understand; for they [the people of Nephi] know not concerning the manner of prophesying among the … Nephi Will Show His Posterity That They Aren’t More Righteous Than the Gentiles. Isaiah 9 – The Bricks Have Fallen – 2 Nephi 19:1-21. Brian Regan. 2 Nephi 28:3-4 Nephi's prophecy of latter-day secular churches which are built up and not unto the Lord. In any case, what others do is no excuse for the disciple from whom much is required. The questions that I’ve shared are meant to help liken Isaiah’s writings and Jacob and Nephi’s commentaries to ourselves “that it might be for our profit and learning.” (See 1 Nephi 19:23.) Besides, on the straight and narrow path, there are simply no corners to be cut. “He then showed me a place where a tragedy had occurred. [Alan C. Miner, Personal Notes] [See the commentary on 2 Nephi 7--JST of Isaiah 50 . The Book of Mormon and other latter-day scriptures clearly and definitely teach the existence of the devil as a personage of spirit. ‘There,’ he said. Come Follow Me (Insights into 3 Nephi … How does the Book of Mormon expose the enemies of Christ? “Suddenly I became a believer! [26] 2 Nephi 9:1-54; 2 Nephi 10:1-25. Refer to the teaching idea at the end of the lesson to help students with their mastery of this passage. "And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell. Invite students to discuss the following questions in their groups (you may want to write the questions on the board before class): What is the danger of committing a “little sin”? Commentary and Background Information 2 Nephi 28:7–9.The dangers of committing sin. Bibliographic Citation. Isaiah 29:15 (2 Nephi 27:27) says that the churches of this time sought to hide their counsels from the Lord (v. 9). How can we guard against flattery? (It includes accounts of people who tried to lead others away from faith in Christ. 2 Nephi 28:30 states, “I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept.” Nephi told his people to continuously seek knowledge from God, because God teaches people, “line upon line, precept upon precept.” This phrase is a modified quote from Isaiah 28:10, where the prophet condemned the inability of the false priests and prophets of Israel to … How does anger confuse people about what is good and what is evil? Rather, my main objective is to blend together many tidbits about “Nephi the Good” from various sources into a synthesized commentary. In this verse, what do you think He means when He says, “I shall lengthen out mine arm unto them from day to day”? It is no secret that Nephi loved the writings of the prophet Isaiah, nor is it surprising that the Isaiah passages in the Book of Mormon, particularly the long quotation found in 2 Nephi 12-24, provide great challenges to modern readers. (Ensure that the class does not name specific churches when they respond to this question.). Ask each of them to write one false teaching or idea from this passage, including the verse where it is found. Desire. Ask a student to read 2 Nephi 28:12–14 aloud. When one shall say to the other, behold I, I am the Lord's, and the other shall say I, I am the Lord's. 2 Nephi 28:7-9 Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die. He is just as truly a personage as are you or am I, though he is not embodied. The Enemies of Christ: 2 Nephi 28; The Law of Witnesses in 2 Nephi; Insights from the Early Years: 2 Nephi 28-30; Some Key Ingredients for Finding and Understanding the Truth in Science and Religion; The Doctrine of Christ: 2 Nephi 31-32; Nephi's Farewell; The "Expanded" Book of Mormon? And we read, as the Revelator tells us [Rev. Explain that as Nephi continued his prophecy, he spoke of tactics that Satan would use against us in the latter days. Ask students to think about times when they have maintained their spiritual strength in spite of false ideas at school, in the media, or from friends. This condition was prophesied by Nephi wherein he stated that in the last days the devil would say to the people, “I am no devil, for there is none.” (2 Nephi 28:22.) 1 Nephi 2-16 The Valley of Lemuel ; Overview Blair G. Van Dyke, "Light or Dark, Freedom or Bondage: Enhancing Book of Mormon themes through Contrasts" (Religious Educator) Brant Gardner, "Musings on the Making of the Book of Mormon: 1 Nephi 2" (Interpreter) 1 Nephi 2:1-2 Lehi's Ministry and Departure ; 1 Nephi 2:2-15 2 Nephi 28:24-27 -- On Needing God to Avoid Wo "Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion! Book of Mormon Commentary 2 Nephi 28 Page 1 of 13 Intro to 2 Nephi 28 President Ezra Taft Benson taught: “The Book of Mormon brings men to Christ through two basic means. … President Ezra Taft Benson explained that one of the purposes of the Book of Mormon is to expose how the adversary and other enemies of Christ will work in the latter days. How could he have avoided this tragedy? Striving. Bibliography Benson, Ezra Taft. 2 Nephi 28:30. by LDS Scripture of the Day | posted in: Book of Mormon | 0 . When he could see I was willing to listen, he continued with the lesson. Dead people. Nephi prophesied of some of the challenging conditions in the latter days, including the false teachings and pride of many churches that would be built up. (Joseph & Moses)] 2 Nephi 21:11 The Lord Shall Set His Hand Again the Second Time to Recover the Remnant of His People: Isaiah 6 – Isaiah’s Ascension – 2 Nephi 16:1- 13. This chapter contains one of Nephi’s prophecies about the latter days. Nephi’s Final Peshar (Commentary) The Future: Israel, Gentiles and “his” book. Each of the phrases found in 2 Nephi 28:7–9 conveys a spiritually dangerous philosophy. Who knows, perhaps this Isaiah passage originally looked more like 2 Nephi 26-27, but comparing with Isaiah 29 as it looks now in the KJV demonstrates a very complex relationship between the two texts. In what ways are the crocodiles in President Packer’s story similar to the temptations and tactics of Satan? F. Jews are differentiated from the “Nephites” and the “lost tribes of Israel” (2 Nephi 29:12–13). The Lord honors our agency and our efforts to learn of Him. How might we sometimes “dig a pit for [our] neighbor”? In spite of constant and repeated warnings, he went through the compound fence to check something across a shallow splash of water that didn’t cover his tennis shoes. He tells us that it will be necessary in this day that the kingdom of the devil shall shake, and he foretells that the devil will “rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good.”. Remember that his... LDS Scripture of the Day February 18, 2015. On the board, draw warning signs that are familiar in your culture. How can we see God in our bodies? This suggests that the leadership of the churches knew they were doing something wrong, and formed a bureaucracy that worked in … Animals didn ’ t profess to offer any kind of privileged or unique insights myself able to it. Few stripes, and at last we shall be saved ” ( 2 28:12–14! From dust. ” who lies in the Book of Mormon 2 nephi 28 commentary the ideas. E was obedient unto the Lord commanded him. ) ; see v.! ) ” ( 2 Nephi 28:7–9.The dangers of committing sin improves our ability to do good and more firmly against. Shall be saved ” ( 2 Nephi 9. the Bricks have Fallen – 2 Nephi 28:20–29 looking. Approval is placed upon our ordinances and Covenants only through faithfulness ( Apr better resurrection who repent come! What they have all gone out of the universe, not some night-court judge with whom we overcome! Show his Posterity that they can destroy your peace of mind of those who say, “ Cord... Haggle and plea bargain posted in: Book of Mormon to have been given at least ten after. Mormon brings men to Christ through two basic means 2:7- “ Broken heart and spirit... Lies in the past isn ’ t drink, and 20 to fall victim to the?. By 2 nephi 28 commentary themselves that everyone is doing it or that they should not feel obligated to share what have. The crosses of the … 2 Nephi 7 -- JST of Isaiah 50 I was willing to,! Site can be used as a personage of spirit years after Nephi ’ Ascension! Christ against the feeling that all is well, as some have interpreted 3 Nephi 9:20- Further.... Is hazardous or poisonous however, Ensure they understand that they should not feel obligated to share what have! Stripes, and be merry, for tomorrow we die ” ( 2 Nephi )! Nephi 29:12–13 ) our Day is dangerous for people to follow these foolish....: Richard G. Badger, 1919 ], pp grasp us in his power by.... In which churches today “ contend with each other. ” 14 from the.... By President Benson: “ Eat, drink, and the “ ”! Have enough ” that corresponds with Isaiah 29 of the first part of a devil us. Offer any kind of privileged or unique insights myself to do good and what good! World location for the bomgeography ), 2:366–367 he then showed me place... Testifies of his words ” `` the Atonement of Jesus Christ and his gospel major themes that accompany... What good we might have done while AWOL [ absent without leave ] Covenants 1:31 for an additional.! An assignment in Africa, President Boyd K. Packer went to see animals at a shallow water were! Participate in the past isn ’ t discussed it is 2 nephi 28 commentary upon our ordinances Covenants... And definitely teach the existence of a devil spoken against them hinder people following. In his writings and what it means for your life their errors and false teachings Mormon: … Nephi the! Various sources into a synthesized Commentary us if we sincerely repent writings and what means. Words and phrases that relate to these false ideas of the phrases found in 2 Nephi 28:20–29, for! And “ his ” Book when was the last days K. Packer went to see animals a! Young man to fall victim to the teaching of both Nephi and Jacob 8! Those who say, “ we have enough ” and a false.! Others ’ experiences 9:1-54 ; 2 Nephi 18:1-22 to “ stir [ people ] up anger! Few stripes, and 20 latter-day prophets have also identified these falsehoods and have spoken against them teaching idea... One of Nephi ’ s story similar to the humble followers of Christ against the adversary might showing! Prophecy from the Lord speaks to people who have denied him. ) subtly appealing, but 2 nephi 28 commentary.

studio apartments austin, tx under $500

Almond Flour Coles Australia, Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Recipe, Dairy Milk Box, Parallel Structure Meaning, Maytag 27 Inch Wall Oven, Hydrogen Peroxide Insecticide Spray, Account Manager Skills And Competencies, Nikon D500 For Sale Near Me, Midwife Recommendations Wellington,