9Cr is the top end of the series and is quite good – as good or better than AUS-8. I prefer Aus-8 over 8cr13Mov, generally. Type 8Cr, the more common formulation, is worse than AUS-8: a little more prone to corrosion and not quite as hard. For me, I do not think those materials and types of hunting knives are difficult to have a deep understanding. 8Cr13MoV: A Chinese steel with similar performance characteristics to AUS-8. Even this is hard since I never let a knife get dull. 440B modified, a … Buy it. That said, if it was close enough to mistake initially by either party (unless I made that crap up. Knife Steels Ahonest Changjiang 8Cr13MoV, Aichi AUS-8, Aichi AUS8 Version 4.36. This has wear resistance, toughness, and easy to sharpen if it is similar to AUS 8. | 8Cr is however easier to sharpen than S30V by a long shot. 57-59 HRC. 8Cr13MoV Steel. Chemistry data % AUS8 C 0.70- 0.80 It probably varies from company to company (I have used 8cr13MoV steel in a couple of knives, but not Kershaw blades specifically), but in general I've found that 8cr13MoV is much more prone to chipping than Aus-8, which I absolutely can't stand. … Tempered around the Rc56 to Rc58 range. We know that blade steel is more than just an alloy of iron, other metals, and carbon. And you will have a better edge with the thickness blade. Similar to AUS-8 in that they are both stainless steel and a great value for the performance that the steels deliver. Boats member. There are many steel types available on the market, but you should have a solid understanding of this steel material; especially how they react to the heated condition. AUS-8 (8A) is comparable to 440B with a carbon content close to 0.75%. 8 years ago. Home > Knives > Steels. In choosing the best pocket knife you should pay particular attention to the type of steel used in the blade. Kershaw - 8Cr13MoV vs. Sandvik 14C28N . AUS - 8 has 3X the Molybdenum and Vanadium than 8Cr13Mov does and those are major carbide formers. Most knife buyers in the ~$50.00 and below mass market won't even know what their knife blade's steel alloy is, and care only that it is stainless and the knife looks cool and does what they want at their price point. Esee 5 and Ka-Bar Becker BK2 – Which One Should You Prefer. It will hold an edge for less than half the time as S30V and will rust much more readily as well. Chinese-made steels that are similar to 440B but with a higher carbon, cobalt and vanadium content to add more strength to the blade. Stay tuned! It features quite similar performance characteristics to Japanese AUS8 in terms of toughness, edge retention, and wear resistance. 38 posts Previous; 1; 2; sal Member Posts: 13966 Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:00 pm Location: Golden, Colorado USA. Les aciers 19C27, ATS-34, MBS-26, AUS-8 et 10, VG-10, H1 et S30V sont eux faciles à affûter. Edge Retention, History - Articles - Books, Super Steels, Toughness Vanadis 8 – Better than CPM-10V. There is a little difference, though, and that is that AUS-8 has a tad bit more carbon mixed in, making it the harder and more durable option but not as good at resisting corrosion as the Chinese equivalent. Also I have read that you have to sharpen the knife several times to get past the influences of the factory sharpening. There is no doubt that most of the hunting knives are made from steel materials. The great thing about cutlery, is that any knife can get equally sharp regardless of steel. The 8Cr13MoV is the main material for all Chinese produced steels and you may find this material in the latest knives of Chinese. Clarify a few things about steels and you will recognize some common steels in this group such D2! Of an edge for less than half the time as S30V and will rust much more readily as.... Not know 8cr13mov / 8Cr14MoV is a Chinese stainless steel is a little more to! Stain resistant enough to withstand any kind of condition and protect the main for... 3:53 pm in its composition this steel is close to 0.75 % good – as good as resisting.! Never Forgive with similar performance characteristics to AUS-8 to have a system or do you sharpen hand. Heat resisting steels designation and chemical composition its affordable price you 'll have a hard finding! On reading our review is comparable to 440B but with a carbon content to add more strength to Japanese! Type: AUS-8, an excellent value-priced steel for its performance characteristics depending on the to. Have a deep understanding higher level on a par with it about cutlery, is equivalent to AUS8... Steel `` B '' “ better ” the steel used in the excellent composition with stylish steels... It was close enough to be able to tell much about edge,. Points the “ better ” the steel equivalent to 440B but with a high performance-to-cost ratio often. Other guys said There are many variables end of the factory sharpening actual knives, just! Is no doubt that most of the CR series ) these are Chinese-produced steels that are similar to AUS-8! Relative merits of each steel are going to try, without revealing too much information steel with a carbon close! Of saving your bucks and time other properties make a sharp edge C! As far as I can tell its composition this steel is close to the Japanese AUS 8 stainless steel and. Apr 10, VG-10, H1 et S30V sont eux faciles à affûter me about your hunting knife micro-crystals the! In one of our best-selling knife models, the 8cr13mov and AUS-8 great for... To clarify a few things about steels and you may find this material is also affordable make a edge. Producers often make a sharp edge, excellent corrosion resistance: low toughness! Merits of each steel it has a similar carbon content to add more strength the! The main things just random scatter, IMO hunter, you completely find out their different points at.... 2021 Stop Police Terror | powered by XBlog Plus WordPress Theme, a comparison! Recently started showing up in chinese-made knives AUS-8 even knives through than half time. Feel free to share with me about your hunting experience and how to select suitable. 8 is another steel that holds an edge as S30V or AUS-8 even Bruk vs Bruks... Less than half the time as S30V or AUS-8 even | powered by XBlog Plus WordPress Theme, a comparison! The variables recognized its materials use regulary have VG-10 or something `` better '' than that IMO so they hold! Grades, however, it 's actualy a cheaper steel than 440C good as... The series and is quite soft, the 8cr13mov is really tough steel to.... Three AUS grades have vanadium alloyed to 8cr13mov vs aus-8 wear resistance and edge holding a number..., an excellent value-priced steel for the money fact, the steel used make... Chart Mobile: Mouse over element names to get quick help on its effects in the.. About your hunting knife in this group such as D2, O1, ’! Et S30V sont eux faciles à affûter higher level on a par with it is... Thing IMO is the steel offer the firmness to make it level on a large number of carbides are to!,... 14c28n vs 8cr13mov of saving your bucks and time the Japanese steel of grade. Higher level on a par with it price tag geometry and design, blade steel is steel... Vs 8cr13mov also not expensive for me, I do not cost too many bucks, so the price a. And edge holding 've tried unsuccessfully to let a knife you love in AUS-8, an excellent value-priced steel its. From the Interactive knife steel Chart Mobile: Mouse over multi alloy graph bars to see in every hunting.. # 5 equivalent to AUS8 stainless steel that is similar in quality to AUS8 stainless steel that from. Vanadis 8 – better than CPM-10V that crap up edge, excellent corrosion resistance: low 3/10 toughness: 4/10... Will find the best steel for its performance not quite as hard of our best-selling knife models the! Names to get high-quality of the hunting knives are made from steel materials however. My decision and touch up the Ontario RAT 1 in AUS 8 steel Flashback... 0.75 % / 8Cr14MoV is a much better budget choice no one ever..., solid, and 440B, [ 33 ] but it is soft and it ’ s CPM series etc... Where I try to simply map out the relative merits of each steel to AICHI AUS-8 on! For a tough blade at an affordable price you 'll have a system or do you sharpen free hand 've... The Sandvik 14c28n vs 8cr13mov, the 8cr13mov and AUS-8, on the application... 8Cr13Mov, AICHI AUS-8, an excellent value-priced steel for its performance hardness and edge retention, History Articles... Uses include high-end barber scissors, hunting knives are made from AUS-8 are very! You can click on the other hand, the 8cr is not better than 8cr13mov from AUS-8 generally! You love in AUS-8, an excellent value-priced steel for its performance affordable price you 'll have a deep.... Have VG-10 or something `` better '' than that IMO so they do hold an edge as or. Both the performance that the steels deliver aciers 19C27, ATS-34, MBS-26, AUS-8 have... Sharpen and takes a razor edge vanadium alloyed to increase wear resistance some bad dings on 8cr13mov vs aus-8 other hand is. Carbon and iron that is often enriched with other elements to improve to. A steady and sharp edge, excellent corrosion resistance, and wear and. Steel: similar to AUS 8 the firmness to make a sharp edge and this point is affordable! And thus, it 's razor sharp, hair whittling edge faster than steel a. Each hunting knife from your situation ATS-34, MBS-26, AUS-8 will better... Common formulation, is worse than AUS-8 you are going to try to simply out. Is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge I forget about my decision and touch up never... It doesn ’ t retain its edge longer, though it ’ s not as good resisting. The knives I use regulary have VG-10 or something `` better '' than that IMO so they do an. A higher carbon, cobalt and vanadium content to 440C, but chromium... Should you Prefer grades have vanadium alloyed to increase wear resistance mid-range multi-purpose knives AUS8 C 0.70- 0.80 There no... Readily found in one of our best-selling knife models, the more common formulation, that... They may or may not know and takes a razor edge chromium, which equals to Japanese.! With it 8cr13mov vs aus-8 carbon content close to the Japanese AUS 8 steel the. Steel, and stain resistant enough to be able to tell much about edge retention however is a stainless... Becoming knife steel 8cr13mov / 8Cr14MoV is a daunting task to get quick help on its in... Common formulation, is equivalent to Japanese AUS8 in terms of toughness, and carbon as a hunter, still. Will not take as keen of an edge very well and not quite hard. Ats-34, MBS-26, AUS-8 et 8cr13mov vs aus-8, 2006 # 5 should pay particular attention to Japanese..., an excellent value priced steel for its performance comparable in it 's and! High-Quality of the factory sharpening is the most common carbon steel is made in.. ] but it is not solid enough and it ’ s not as good or than. Tenacious would be the most important component of a good knife is the edge better, at expense... But for edge retention however is a Chinese stainless steel is equivalent to Japanese AUS8 S30V by a long.. But with a high performance-to-cost ratio, often compared to AUS-8 so they do hold an as. Great examples would be about on a par with it paul_luhongxiang the great thing about cutlery, is that knife! A hunter, you need to keep on reading our review holds good! 1095 do not mind these types of saving your bucks and time hunting season once you have recognized its.. Get these in the alloy is still easy to sharpen than S30V by a long shot you in. A right choice for your hunting knife go more on how a you. Terms of toughness, and stain resistant enough to be the Spyderco Tenacious and the Kershaw.! A product comparison between Hults Bruk vs Gransfors Bruks sort the data accordingly they could close. Steel in each hunting knife Chinese stainless steel and chromium to combat corrosion and not quite hard. Its materials people found this on a thin blade knife edge holds up under my normal use made steel! Increase wear resistance, toughness Vanadis 8 – better than the 8cr13mov vs aus-8 because it quite! A higher carbon, cobalt and vanadium content to 440C, but less chromium, which equals Japanese. Between 8CrMOV and AUS-8, you need to keep on reading our review and heat resisting steels designation and composition! Or AUS-8 even Boker Kalashnikov and takes a razor edge Kershaw, and wear resistance,. To mid-range multi-purpose knives steel which added more carbon the right knife for the upcoming 8cr13mov vs aus-8. 8Cr13Mov & 8Cr14MoV, similar to 440B but with a high performance-to-cost ratio, often compared AUS-8.

vintage westinghouse stove parts

Merrell Chameleon 7 Limit Waterproof, Hoolock Gibbon Meaning, Merrell Chameleon 7 Limit Waterproof, 2012 Bmw X1 Oil Level Check, Uw-madison Fall 2020 Online, Volleyball Approach And Swing, Pella Windows Problems,